CPOs are used by public bodies to force property owners to sell their property and are often used when land is needed for a regeneration project. 

They can also be used if properties are in a poor condition and pose a danger to the public or when the property is a listed building not being suitably cared for by the owner.
CPOs are also used where land is needed for a transport or infrastructure project. Recent examples of these include the Heathrow Expansion Project and the High Speed Two (HS2) railway. In the case of the Heathrow a Development Consent Order is being used which contains powers for the compulsory acquisition and temporary possession of land.


Properties affected by CPOs are entitled to compensation. The general principle is that the owner should not be any worse off after the sale than they were before.  There is a Statutory Compensation Code that governs compensation for people affected by CPO.

There are occasions where people who are affected by CPOs are offered enhanced compensation offers. Enhanced compensation schemes can be time limited. The public body offering enhanced compensation often states that the compensation is only available if an agreement to sell is entered into by a specific date.

If an owner does not agree to sell, the public body will apply to the court for an order forcing the owner to sell the property.  This is the final step taken if an agreement has not been entered into.

We Can Help

At MW Solicitors our expert property lawyers can advise you if your property is affected.  Contact us if you have received any letters from a local authority about CPOs and you don’t understand what this means.
If you would like to talk to one of our specialist property solicitors call us on 020 3551 8500 or use our Contact Us form to arrange a callback at your convenience.

Contact Us

Translate this page