Disputes are undesirable for any individual or business, but even with careful planning they cannot always be avoided. We understand the disruption caused to households and businesses when building works go wrong and we understand you will want any issues resolved to your satisfaction as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
At McMillan Williams, we provide strategic and pragmatic advice to prevent problems escalating into significant disputes. We act decisively to achieve the best possible results for our clients whatever the size or nature of the dispute, whilst always striving to achieve the earliest possible resolution without the need to issue formal proceedings. We understand the complexities of construction disputes and are familiar with industry standard-form documents, such as Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) Standard Building Contracts. We also have experience of liaising with the National House Building Council (NHBC) and interpreting/enforcing the provisions of the NHBC Buildmark policy.
We are focused on delivering cost-effective and pragmatic advice. However, if proceedings are necessary, our team of tenacious lawyers will ensure your interests are represented and protected at all times. Our experience includes dealing with:
- Complaints about builders or contractors - Including claims of poor workmanship, overcharging, failure to complete a project on time and defending claims for non-payment. We are experienced in dealing with claims for the cost of remedial works, refunds and trading losses.
- Claims by builders or contractors - Including problems getting paid, additional work and variations to the contract.
- Building Dispute Mediation - Mediation is a form of structured negotiation. Where we believe it is in your best interests, we will proactively encourage you and your builder or contractor to enter into mediation. The procedure is both informal and cost-effective, and parties to mediation can walk away at any time. We will always ensure that any agreement you enter into protects you and is legally watertight.
- JCT Standard Building Contracts
- Interpreting and enforcing the provisions of the NHBC Buildmark policy
We Can Help
At MW, our mission is "To make quality legal services accessible to everyone", including those who are in dispute with their builders. If you are facing a dispute with your builder or contractor, or if you wish to bring a claim or would like advice on any aspect of construction disputes, then call us today on 020 3551 8500 or email us at email@example.com